Wednesday 1 June 2011

Encouraging cooperation.

TheSheDM over at newbieDM.com made a good post about 'bribing' players to cooperate in building their game world on Obsidian portal.

http://newbiedm.com/2011/05/27/bribing-participation/
(I'll fix this link when I am back at me computer. In the mean time it can look all gritty)

This got me thinking since I've been having a similar problem getting buyin from players to contribute to the Dark Sun wiki on our Epic Words page.

There were some really good suggestions from other roleplayers and TheSheDM even posted her notes for me. Thankyou so much again :)

After toying with some of the ideas I've decided to go with the following:

The idea is to get the players on the wiki and get them to contribute in a way that is meaningful to their character. To this end I've roughly assigned each character a social group.
Each player can create npcs that are well known or friendly to them. They can decide all the who's what's where's and whens about the npc inside of the constraints of the setting.
The only real catch is that they cannot add a new npc if the previous one has not been added to the wiki.

This should encourage them to work at the wiki as well as their character backstory.

At least that's the idea, will bounce this off of my players this coming tuesday and keep you updated on how it goes.


Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'm going to introduce something like this in my home game THIS weekend! I think it will go something like this. Invent a friend. That simple. Add them to the Wiki. (We also use EW) I mean think about it. Certainly adventurers have friends right? Tell me about ONE of them and we'll NPC them out. This is great. I think I'll write more about this on MY blog! Weeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check it out.

    http://huntersquarry.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/do-your-players-have-friends/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike,

    I'd be keen to hear how your group takes to this. In the mean time I'll be adding it to EW to introduce it to my group.

    I'll definitely be using your "Invent-a-Friend" title, love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and adding you to my RSS list.

    ReplyDelete